• Jennifer Williams, Grossmont College, Pastry and Baking Certificate, 2011

Owner, Jenny Wenny Cakes; creates custom cakes for weddings and other special occasions.

Jenny Williams worked for a San Diego company as a medicinal chemist, but found her life’s passion at Grossmont.

“I guess I wasn’t feeling very fulfilled, so I started classes in 2007 in the ROP program,” she said.  “At first it was just for fun and then I got into cake decorating and decided to pursue this as a career.”

She eventually quit her job and founded her small business, Jenny Wenny Cakes, to bake custom cakes, cookies, desserts and snacks.

“I found that the education I’ve gotten has been especially wonderful, especially James Foran’s classes,” Williams said. “I think it rivals top schools in the country as far as pastry and baking goes.”

She received hands-on training in a commercial bakery during her work experience program.

“I know other cake decorators that did it for a hobby and then did it for a business, and they really struggled,” Williams said. “But having the educational background from Grossmont gave me a head start and also taught me it was hard work.”